Some good tips for communicating with the hearing impaired is to set your stage for success by making sure you face who you are speaking to. Be sure to avoid extra noise or noisy backgrounds. Get their attention prior to speaking with them and remember, don’t be afraid to ask how you can best facilitate communication with them. Communication is a two-way street and takes work between both parties.
You can always enhance your communication by keeping these things in mind:
- Don’t Shout or Raise your voice
- Remember to Speak Clearly and not too fast
- Try not to hide or cover your mouth when speaking
- Be sure to use facial expressions and gestures during the conversation
- Try rephrasing if you find you are not understood.
- Give a warning when you are changing subjects
- Remember to be patient and positive.